The Awesome Veggie Burger
Getting in at least six servings of vegetables per day just got more delicious! Our awesome veggie burger recipe uses mushrooms as a base and combines them with savory spices to pack a nutritional punch into every patty. Low in fat and sugar but high in flavor, these burgers are bound to be your new go-to summer meal—but you can enjoy these any time of the year! Pair it with our Lavender Coconut Lemonade for the ultimate flavor combo.
Give these burgers a go and take a pic to share with #TakingOnHealthy.
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms
- 2 large diced onions
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire
- 3 tablespoons white or chickpea miso (we used chickpea miso)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 3 cups vital wheat gluten
- Pulse mushrooms in batches until minced.
- Transfer to large bowl and mix in all the other ingredients except the vital wheat gluten. When all ingredients are blended, add the vital wheat gluten and thoroughly mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and form the burgers into about 18 patties. Bake on greased cookie sheets or parchment paper about 30 minutes or firm to the touch.
- Patties can be kept in the refrigerator for two weeks or frozen for up to 6 months. To prepare, reheat in a skillet or on the grill.
- Garnish to your liking and serve!
Tip: Add a hint of liquid smoke for a smokier flavor.
Nutrition Information per serving:
Serving Size: 1 burger does not include any garnish
Makes 18 servings