Asian Summer Salad Topped Three Ways
Who doesn’t love a cool, crisp salad to beat the summer heat? We’ve got a recipe that is perfect for a weekend family BBQ or busy weeknight. The secret is in the dressing. Creamy, gingery and peanut buttery, it’s so good, you’ll want to eat it with a spoon! But that’s not even the best part—this easy salad can be topped three different ways for maximum flavor potential. You can even tuck it into a whole-wheat wrap for an on-the-go lunch!
Check out our quick how-to video below, and don’t forget to take a pic and post it with #TakingOnHealthy.
For the salad (makes about 8 cups):
- ½ head Napa cabbage, thinly shredded
- ¼ head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 can mandarin oranges in water (drained and rinsed)
For the dressing (makes 1 cup):
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey (substitute agave to make vegan)
- 3 tablespoons natural smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Optional for heat:
- 1 tablespoon more/less Sriracha pepper sauce to taste
Add your protein of choice:
- 8 ounces chopped, seasoned chicken
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp
- 8 ounces cooked tempeh (vegan)
- Chinese noodles
- Roasted, unsalted peanuts
- Fresh cilantro
- Mix salad ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Add dressing ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour dressing onto mixed salad, top with desired protein and any garnishes.
- Toss together and enjoy!
Salad without Protein (vegan):
Salad with Chicken (3 oz.):
Salad with Shrimp (3 oz.):
Salad with Tempeh (3 oz., vegan):
Add Dressing (1 tablespoon):