Asian Summer Salad Topped Three Ways
The calendar may still say spring, but our temps say summer has arrived. With warmer weather comes the craving for cooler fare, and we have a recipe guaranteed to be the hit of every BBQ: Asian Summer Salad. The secret is in the dressing. Creamy, gingery and peanut buttery, it’s so good, you’ll want to eat it with a spoon! But that’s not even the best part—this easy salad can be topped three different ways for maximum flavor potential. You can even tuck it into a whole-wheat wrap for an on-the-go lunch!
Check out our quick how-to video below, and don’t forget to take a pic and post it with #TakingOnHealthy.
For the salad (makes about 8 cups):
- ½ head Napa cabbage, thinly shredded
- ¼ head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 can mandarin oranges in water (drained and rinsed)
For the dressing (makes 1 cup):
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey (substitute agave to make vegan)
- 3 tablespoons natural smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Optional for heat:
- 1 tablespoon more/less Sriracha pepper sauce to taste
Add your protein of choice:
- 8 ounces chopped, seasoned chicken
- 8 ounces cooked shrimp
- 8 ounces cooked tempeh (vegan)
- Chinese noodles
- Roasted, unsalted peanuts
- Fresh cilantro
- Mix salad ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Add dressing ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour dressing onto mixed salad, top with desired protein and any garnishes.
- Toss together and enjoy!
Salad without Protein (vegan):
Salad with Chicken (3 oz.):
Salad with Shrimp (3 oz.):
Salad with Tempeh (3 oz., vegan):
Add Dressing (1 tablespoon):