Harvest Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Tarts
Every holiday presents the opportunity to fill your table with goodies galore. It can be hard to resist all the temptations this time of year, but we have a recipe that doesn’t need to be denied. Our harvest sweet potato pie tarts may be small, but they are big on healthy benefits, including iron, fiber and the antioxidant beta carotene. Bonus: They are perfect as an appetizer or dessert!
Try them at your next holiday meal, and share a pic with #TakingOnHealthy.
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (2.1 ounces) packages mini phyllo shells
To prep the mashed sweet potato: Pierce each sweet potato a few times with a fork, place in a pie plate with 2 tablespoons water, cover loosely with wax paper, and microwave at high for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sweet potato, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt, stirring well.
- In a separate bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, syrup and vanilla, stirring well.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon sweet potato mixture into each phyllo shell, spreading to edges. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon pecan mixture over sweet potato mixture. Place filled shells on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information per serving:
Serving size: 2 tarts