Time to Chill
From football Sundays to family gatherings, it’s officially chili season! We have a classic cool-weather version that’s packed with protein and tons of flavor. Bonus: It’s ready in under an hour, so it makes for a great weeknight option too! Complete this family-friendly meal with your favorite toppings and a side of toasted bread.
Try our chili for your next get-together, and share a pic with #TakingOnHealthy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 small chopped red pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey (we used ground beef)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth (we used vegetable broth)
- 3 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- Add olive oil to a large soup pot and warm over medium heat for a minute. Add onion and red pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef. Cook 6-7 minutes until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir until well combined.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce and masa harina. Stir well.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce to low heat and gently simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with your choice of sour cream, diced onions and/or shredded cheddar cheese.
Nutrition information per serving:
Serving size: 1 cup
|Fat:||7 g||Sugar:||10 g|