Savory Sweet Apple Butternut Squash Soup
Fall Hard for This Soup
Now that it’s fall, are you scouring your cookbooks for the type of cozy comfort food that warms your heart and soul? Us too. That’s why we are so excited to share our recipe for savory-sweet apple butternut squash soup. It takes the nutty flavor of butternut squash and pairs it with sweet apples and staple seasonings to create a rich and delicious soup you’ll want to make all season long. With 7 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein per serving, this soup satisfies, but it also pairs nicely with a dark-green salad for an easy weeknight meal!
Don’t forget to share a pic with #TakingOnHealthy.
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and diced into chunks
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 5 medium mixed apples, peeled and chopped
(Red Delicious, Granny Smith, etc.)
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
(substitute vegetable broth to make vegan)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup milk (substitute cashew milk to make vegan)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add squash and cook until soft, about 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
- Add apples, broth, ginger, nutmeg and coriander. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes or until ingredients are tender. Remove from heat.
- Place mixture in blender, in two or more batches if necessary. Blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot.
- Bring to a gentle boil over low heat, stirring frequently. Slowly stir in milk, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Remove from heat and serve!
Garnish with sour cream, croutons or pomegranate seeds!
Nutrition Information per serving:
Serving size: 1 cup
Makes: 8 cups